GoGuardian Admin 2.0 allows you to filter Youtube content by category, title keywords, channel, and more!
Configure Youtube filtering by policy:
- Start by clicking on “Filtering” in the navigation panel under the “Admin” product.
- Click on the “Policies” tab between “Assign” and “Activity.” This will show a list of your policies.
- Click the pencil icon on the policy you wish to edit Youtube filtering for.
- Click on “Youtube” to access the editing options for your policy’s Youtube filtering.
NOTE: The Youtube filtering settings are unique to the domain Youtube.com. Videos, channels, keywords, and category blocking will work differently than the normal Site block/allow configuration. The Youtube filter can block embedded Youtube content on other websites irrespective of the sites filtering menu. If admins wish to block all access to the site Youtube.com (no approved videos accessible either), add Youtube.com to the sites tab as a blocked site.
- Age restriction - Enabling this toggle will automatically block content that is unsuitable for users that are under 18, regardless of which user is signed into the browser (even if the user is logged into a personal Youtube account).
- Block Youtube Sidebar - Enabling this toggle will automatically block the elements containing the Youtube sidebar - this blocks the “up next” videos which may have irrelevant content.
- Block Youtube Comments - Enabling this toggle will automatically block the comments section of Youtube.
- Restrictive Mode - Enabling this toggle will block all videos on Youtube except for those that are added to the allowed videos or channels section.
- Channels - This tab will allow you to manage Youtube channels. Click on the “Enter a Youtube” channel and paste the URL for the Youtube channel you would like to allow or block. Then click on the red x to block all videos uploaded to the channel, or the green checkmark to allow all videos uploaded to that channel.
- Videos - This tab will allow you to manage individual Youtube videos. Click on the “Enter a Youtube video URL and paste the URL for the Youtube video you would like to allow or block. Then click on the red x to block the video, or the green checkmark to allow the video.
- Keywords - This tab allows you to add keywords to a blacklist. The keyword filter will check the titles of the Youtube videos for these keywords and if there is a match, the video will be blocked.
- Categories - This tab allows you to block entire categories of videos as they are categorized by the Youtube community. Check the box next to the category to block the category for your Policy.
Pro tip: Youtube filtering is also a popular restriction that is often more heavily policed during school to conserve bandwidth, but can be lifted while students are at home. The best way to ensure the same policy minus Youtube filtering is enabled is to create a separate Youtube filtering policy, and applying the separate Youtube filter on top the normal policies for “in school” mode and removing the policy for “out of school” mode. Remove any Youtube restrictions on the normal student policy the ensure the policy is open out of school
If policy conflicts arise in Youtube Filtering, the rank for policy rules from most general to most detailed is: Keywords, Categories, Channels, Videos. So, barring other variables, a video that is whitelisted should be viewable no matter what the rules in Keywords, Categories, or Channels are.
For more on how to create a policy: How To: Create and Edit Policies
How to apply policies to OUs once they’re finely tuned: How To: Apply a Policy to an OU
If you would like to create a different policy for when students aren’t in school: How To: Configure Out of School Mode
For more info on troubleshooting your filtering: Troubleshooting Filtering