Triggers via Smart Alerts allow admins to better communicate and enforce the principles of digital citizenship while divvying the reviewing process between admins effectively.
Smart alerts can be configured to block content (more on that HERE), notify admins by email, and message the student via Chrome notifications. This article will go over the different available options with smart alerts and triggers.
- In the smart alerts dashboard, click on the “Triggers” tab.
- Click on the blue “Add New Trigger” button in the top right corner.
- Select the category (currently Explicit and Self Harm are the two categories Smart Alerts can detect) you would like to block content for.
NOTE: GoGuardian recommends not blocking content related to self-harm in order to prevent students from suppressing research (See: Chilling Effect) into these types of questions so that the program can continue to detect and help users that may need help.
- Select the severity threshold for alerts to be triggered. GoGuardian recommends starting with the lowest percentage 50% and moving to the higher percentage if you notice a significant amount of false positive reports, but false positives are rare. Click the “Add” button.
- On the right side, there are options to select which Organizational Unit you would like to monitor by this trigger. Select the appropriate OU (some schools do not want to monitor staff OUs, and would only select student account OUs). Click the blue “Add” button to add the OUs to the trigger.
- After adding the appropriate category and OUs, move on to “Add an Action.” You can add just one or all actions for a smart alert trigger. Here’s a quick rundown on your action types:
- “Notify and Assign” will setup automated emails and assign emails to Admins at a particular school to be alerted to and review the smart alerts generated by this trigger,
- “Message Student” to directly message the user as a chrome notification.
- “Block Content” to automatically block the user.
- After selecting the appropriate actions for the trigger, admins can create custom messaging that will appear when the smart alert has been triggered for users in the selected OUs for your trigger. After entering your custom message (or the default sample text), click “Save & Close.” Your users in the selected OUs will now have content blocked when the smart alert has been triggered.
NOTE: The block page custom messaging will show on the user’s browser in the center of the screen, the message student option will trigger a chrome browser notification which can sometimes be hidden by users.