Creating and Applying Scenes
Scenes are designed to give teachers added control over students' web activity during classroom sessions. Scenes can either be in Block Mode, where all websites are blocked except the ones added to an exception list, or in Allow Mode, where all websites are allowed except the ones added to the exceptions list. The instructions below explain how to create a Scene and how to apply a Scene to your active sessions. For more details about Scenes, please see Components of a Scene.
Create a New Scene
- Click the on the Scenes link in the left sidebar menu
- Click on the Add Scene button on the top right corner of the screen
- Add a Name and Description
- Select a pattern
- Select Block Mode or Allow Mode
- Add websites to the Exceptions list
- Add websites to the Auto-Open Tabs list
- Set a value for Maximum Open Tabs
- Scroll back to the top of the page and click Save Scene
Applying a Scene
Scenes can be applied to active Teacher sessions or they can be set as a Default Scene to apply any time a new session is started.
Applying Scenes in Active Sessions
- Click on the "Scene Status: " button at the top of your active session. When hovering over this button, the text will change to "Change Scene"
- Select the Scene you wish to apply. The "Scene Status: " button will change to include the name of your Scene. If no Scene is applied, the text will display "Scene Status: No Scene"
Setting a Default Scene to Always Apply at the Start of a Session
- From your Teacher Dashboard, find the classroom that you wish to have a Default Scene applied and click Settings.
- Under the Info tab, find the Default Scene drop-down menu and select a Scene
- Click Update Classroom to save your changes
Note: If you have Scheduled Sessions configured with Default Scenes, we suggest removing the Default Scene and archiving your classroom at the end of the school year or semester to avoid students being unintentionally blocked after the class has completed.