Notice a student spending too much time off-task? Want to quietly send another student encouragement for finding the answer to a difficult problem? Need to make sure everyone in your class sees an important message? This article can help! We will be addressing the following info:
- Teacher Chat Feature steps
- Start a Chat from an individual student's tile
- Enabling/Disabling chat for individual student
- Student offline but has a black Chat icon
- Student does not have Chat icon
- Reviewing Chat history from past sessions
- Chat notifications
- Toggle on the Chat button in the top right of your active session view (Screens or Timeline view)
- Click on the Chat icon that appears towards the bottom right corner of the screen
- Click on a connected student’s name
- Enter text in the dialogue box, and press Enter or click the icon
- Your message will appear in a similar window on the student’s screen
Start a Chat from an Individual Student's Tile
With chat enabled in the active session, start a chat with a specific student by clicking on the chat bubble icon in the upper right corner of that student's tile or from there enlarged screen view under the "Chat" tab.
NEW - Enabling/Disabling Chat for Individual Students!
You can now enable and disable chat for individual students!
In your Screens view, you can enable a chat with an individual student by clicking on the chat icon in their screen tile (it will have a line going across it diagonally when chat is turned off for them):
After clicking the chat icon to expand the screen preview for that student, you can send a message in the chat panel or use the toggle near the top-right corner of the expanded screen preview to enable chat with that student:
Once you've enabled chat with the student, you can use the toggle to turn it back off at any time.
When viewing the normal Screens view of the session, you will be able to easily see which students have chat enabled and which students have it disabled:
Student Offline, but Has a Black Chat Icon?
If a student was previously connected when chat was enabled for them and they later went offline, chat messages can be sent to them, and the students will receive the messages if they come back online during the same session.
Student Has No Chat Icon?
If a student has not yet connected to a classroom session, they will not display a chat icon in their screen tile. However, teachers can still send a message to these students by enabling chat for the whole classroom session, clicking on the blue chat widget towards the bottom-right of the page, and clicking on the name of the offline student from the list of students in the chat panel.
Reviewing Chat History from Past Sessions
GoGuardian Teacher now provides the ability to review historical chat sessions with students and teachers.
- Navigate to teacher.goguardian.com
- Click on the classroom in which the desired chat conversation took place
- Click the session date/time to open the timeline view for that specific session.
- Click the text icon at the bottom right corner of the session to open all chats with students during the specified session.
GoGuardian Teacher now provides the ability to enable audio notifications and provides notification badges detailing the number of unread chats.
To turn on Audio Alerts:
- Toggle Chat to On
- Click on the three vertical dots to the right of enabling Chat
- Toggle on or off Audio Alerts