Filtering Youtube Content
GoGuardian Policies contain granular filtering options for regulating YouTube videos. These policies will be applied to videos found on youtube.com as well as any YouTube videos embedded on other sites.
Custom Filter Rules
Entire Youtube channels can be blocked or allowed in bulk on the Channels tab.
- Block Rules - Blocking channels is useful for quickly blocking distracting or inappropriate content creators by channel.
- Allow Rules - Allowing channels is useful for making exceptions for educational content in "Restrictive Mode" scenarios or when a channel contains videos that belong to a blocked category.
To add a Channel filter:
- Navigate to the channel's YouTube home page. Copy the channel's URL that appears in the address bar.
- Paste the channel URL into the respective field on the channel tab. Then click Block or Allow.
Individual YouTube videos can be blocked or allowed using the Videos tab.
- Block Rules - Used to block individual videos on a case-by-case basis.
- Allow Rules - Useful for overriding category blocks or when "restrictive mode" is enabled.
The Videos filter expects exact URLs sourced from the address bar (shown below).
Note: Shortened "share" URLs (youtu.be/ URLs, shown below) are not compatible with the Videos filter. Instead, ensure that the URL is copied from the address bar. (shown above)
Videos can be blocked by user-defined keywords. Videos with titles that contain any terms defined in the keywords filter will be blocked. The keywords field accepts individual terms or phrases.
Entire categories of videos can be blocked by content category. Mark the checkbox for a category, and any video that matches that category will be blocked by the filter.
Note: Categories are defined by YouTube and video categories are labeled by the content creator, so some videos may be self-reported inaccurately.
Age Restriction - Enabling Age Restriction will block all videos deemed not suitable for users under 18 years of age. Exceptions can be made by adding allow rules for specific videos or channels. See this Youtube article for more information about age restriction.
Block Sidebar - Enabling Block Sidebar will hide the "up-next" sidebar next to all videos.
Block Youtube Comments - Enabling Block Youtube Comments will hide comment sections below Youtube videos. Note: This setting does not apply Youtube Live Stream chat threads.
Block Live Chat - Enabling Block Live Chat will remove the chat section from live stream videos
Restrictive Mode - Enabling Restrictive Mode will block all videos except for videos or channels explicitly allowed within the same policy.
When multiple policies are inherited by or applied to an OU, policy rules are combined. The rightmost policy takes precedence in the event of a rule conflict. To see the result of the combined Youtube policy rule, use the policy comparison tool, then select Youtube (shown below). Use the drop-down to switch between Youtube tabs.
Note on Youtube Playlists
The YouTube filter does not fully support Youtube Playlists. If a YouTube channel has a playlist that contains a video owned by another channel, it may be blocked by a category, keyword, or restrictive mode. In this case, each individual video URL on the playlist must be "allowed" on the Videos tab.