Admin 2.0 policies offer a better way to filter which Chrome apps and extensions your users may use. Chrome apps and extensions are generally found in the Chrome Web Store. Chrome apps not found in the Chrome web store can also be blocked or allowed by App ID.
Filter rules for apps and extensions can be added in three ways:
- By Chrome Web Store URL
- By App ID
- Via App Info Page
How to add a filter rule by App ID
- Locate the App's 32 digit ID code
- Copy and paste the ID into the App Filter field
- Click Block or Allow to set the filter rule
How to add a filter rule via GoGuardian App Info
- Select an App from the Admin Dashboard or Single Student Report
- On the App Info Page, click Block or Allow
- Scroll or search to find a policy
- Click Block or Allow to the right of the policy name
How to add a filter rule by App URL
- Navigate to the Chrome Web Store
- Search for the app or extension
- Open the app's web page
- Copy the app's full URL
- Paste the URL into the filter field
- Click Block or Allow
How to Remove A Filter Rule
- Click the X button to the left of a Filter Rule
Google Admin Console Settings
Google Admin Console has built-in options for managing apps and extensions, which can result in a double filter effect. Rules defined in Google Admin Console are honored before your Apps and Extension policy rules. This means that if Google Admin Console is blocking certain apps, GoGuardian cannot override the rule.
Here's how Apps and Extensions Policies interact with Google Admin Console app rules.
Allow or Block All Apps and Extensions
Block all apps and extensions except the ones I allow - This is a restrictive setting that requires a whitelist for approved apps and extensions. Google Admin Console will generally allow any apps or extensions on the Force Install List, plus any additional apps defined on the whitelist.
When apps are blocked by this setting, GoGuardian cannot override the rule. To allow an app, it must be added to the "Allowed Apps and Extensions" in GAC.
Allow all apps and extensions except the ones I block - This is an open setting that has an optional blacklist for apps and extensions. If an app or extension is added to the GAC blacklist, GoGuardian will be unable to override the block rule.
Any apps or extensions not blocked by GAC can be blocked by GoGuardian policies.