Sometimes the OU import may fail and create the following error message:
If OU import Sync fails, please verify GAC admin permissions for the user that is having trouble importing:
Required G Suite Admin Privileges:
Admin API Privileges:
Organization Units (create, read, update, delete)
Users (create, read, update, delete)
If permissions are correct, please verify that there is more than one OU for the domain whose OUs are being imported. If there is one OU containing all students, OU imports will always fail.
Note: If there is one OU for the domain, importing isn't necessary. Multiple OUs allows for greater control over access to student data for administrator accounts as well as granular filtering for the GoGuardian Admin product.
If you receive any errors when trying to import your OUs, please make sure you have configured the GoGuardian OAuth App in the Google Admin Console.
- In the Google Admin Console Dashboard, click on Security
- Navigate to the bottom of the page and select App access control
- Select Manage Third-Part App Access
- Near the top of the page, click Configure new app and select OAuth App Name Or Client ID from the dropdown
- In the search bar, type "GoGuardian" and press Search. Select the second app named "GoGuardian"
- From the Client ID list, check the box to the left of the following OAuth Client ID:
Then, click Select at the bottom
- Finally, check the circle next to "Trusted: Can access all Google services" and select Configure
If this step does not resolve errors, please contact support via email at email@example.com.
GoGuardian will automatically sync your selected imported OUs once per day. If student accounts are moved between imported OUs in the Google Admin console, or if you add a new student to an imported OU, the updates will be reflected in GoGuardian Admin by the next morning.
Important Note Regarding OU Changes
Over the course of the year, you might rename, reorganize, add, or delete OUs in the Google Admin Console. If your OU structure is modified in the Google Admin Console, you must manually re-import / sync your OUs to reflect the changes. Once you re-import your OUs, re-evaluate your policies to ensure they are applied appropriately. If an OU is renamed, any assigned policies will be unassigned. The policies will not be lost but will need to be reassigned.
If you continue to run into trouble importing OUs, please contact support.