Differences in Filtering for GoGuardian DNS and GoGuardian Admin
The same policy applied to OUs for GoGuardian Admin can be applied to Networks for GoGuardian DNS.
Due to the nature of DNS Filtering, there will be some differences in how these policies are applied. All sites will be blocked or allowed via the GoGuardian Extension (for GoGuardian Admin) but some will not be blocked or allowed via GGDNS.
- Website Categories will apply the same.
- Protocols will automatically be removed after they are added to a policy.
- Badges indicate if a URL will be applicable on GG DNS. All URLs will still apply at the GoGuardian extension level for GG Admin.
- For Custom Website URLs, sites with a path will be ignored.
- Example: Blocking sites.google.com/unblockedgames will be ignored because a path is present.
- Blocking with wildcards will only apply to the domain level.
- Example: Blocking *unblock* will block any URL with "unblock" in the domain or subdomain such as unblockedgames.com; it will not block any URL with "unblock" in the path.
Youtube and Apps & Extensions
Although the same policies can be applied to GoGuardian Admin and GoGuardian DNS for ease of use. Both the Youtube and Apps&Ext tabs will not be applicable for GG DNS regardless of what is toggled on or added for the policy.
Global Admin Settings
Safe Search is the only Global Setting that applies to DNS.
To check if Safe Search is enabled for your Organization, please navigate to Configuration > Advanced Config. > Global Settings here: https://admin.goguardian.com/policy/assign/settings
GoGuardian DNS Blocks
GoGuardian DNS filters sites by sending traffic to our DNS servers configured with settings configured at https://admin.goguardian.com/policy/dns - if that traffic matches configuration settings to block based on custom URL or site category, it is blocked.
Blocked HTTPS Traffic
If a site using HTTPS is blocked by GoGuardian DNS, the site is automatically redirected to our blocked page at blocked.com-default.ws.
In this scenario, the above "Your connection is not private" warning will appear due to the requested HTTPS certificate - in this case "test.com" not matching the received HTTPS certificate which in all cases will be from blocked.com-default.ws. This warning/message is the expected behavior for when a site is blocked via GoGuardian DNS.