Periodically, GoGuardian releases new updates to the GoGuardian Windows Native Application.
The newest version of the GoGuardian MSI was Version 1.4.2 was released on December 11, 2019. If you deployed the GoGuardian app prior to this date, navigate to this link to download the most up-to-date MSI package.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you used an external software tool to deploy GoGuardian other than GPO, we recommend utilizing the same tool and method to deploy the newest package.
The instructions below outline the process for updating the GoGuardian application only for those administrators who deployed GoGuardian through active Directory Group Policy Object.
Instructions for Updating a Software Package in GPO:
- Download the latest version of MSI package HERE and place the package in the same shared folder as the existing MSI.
- To upgrade, add the package to same existing GPO which was used for the first installation.
- Open the GPO and navigate to Computer Configuration→ Policies→ Software Installation
- Right click on the application→ New→ Package
- Upload / Add the latest MSI package to the same existing GPO
- Under properties→ set selected deployment method to "Advanced" and select ok.
- Click options and under "Deployment" tab, check the box for "uninstall this application when ti falls out of the scope of management."
- Select Advanced→ check “Ignore language when deploying this package”.
- Under upgrades click the "Add" button.
- Select “Current Group policy object” if updating the already existing package policy. If not, select “specific GPO”, browse and select the specific GPO which contains the old MSI package from new GPO.
- Under “package to upgrade” select the package & make sure to select “uninstall the existing package,then install the upgrade package” → click ok.
- Right click on the GPO and click "refresh" to ensure that all policy changes added to that policy.
- In left panel right click on GPO→ select fresh and policy changes visible in settings in Right panel.
To ensure target machines reflect these changes, please complete one of the following:
- Force Update:
- On the student machine, run the command prompt as an Administrator.
- Type “gpupdate /force” into the command prompt and press enter.
- When prompt asks to restart the target machine, please type Y and press enter to restart.
- Passive Update:
- Depending on processor speed and network connection, wait 0-90 minutes.
- Restart target machines