Blocking/Allowing websites with GoGuardian Admin.
This guide will walk you through allowing domains and subdomains you wish to block and or allow. Keep in mind that the allow list will always override the block list (including category blocks).
This only applies to a single policy environment. For more information check out Policies and Policy Inheritance.
To get to your Policies from the GoGuardian Admin dashboard, click on configuration from the left-hand menu.
From here, select the policy you wish to add the block or allowed site into.
You will then enter the domain/subdomain and choose block or allow.
Here are a few examples.
1) Let’s say you want students to be able to access docs.google.com (a subdomain), but not Google.com (a domain) or any other Google subdomains (such as sheets.google.com):
- Add “google.com” to your block list (this will also block all subdomains)
- Add “docs.google.com” to your allow list (this will override the block list for this subdomain only)
2) If you wanted to allow Google.com but didn’t want students to be able to get to hangouts.google.com:
- Add "hangouts.google.com" to the block list
*There is no need to add google.com to the allow list, as students should be able to access it already (unless a policy in Restrictive Mode is being applied).
3) Websites you want to use can fall into categories you wish to block. coolmathgames.com will fall under 2 categories: Online Games, Educational Games. If you wish to block this category but allow this site, you can do this with an allow rule:
- Add "coolmathgames.com" to the allow list.
***Don't forget! Policy changes can take up to 15 minutes to take effect. One way to speed up the process is to visit chrome://restart on the device browser.***
For more ways to block websites and keywords check out Best Practices: Advanced Filtering Tips.