Introducing Video Call mode, which allows teachers to call students (with video and voice) in a classroom session, including group calls! This article explains how each aspect of the feature works.
Missing this feature? Your subscription may not include GoGuardian Video Conference Calling. This new feature consumes additional resources that may not have been included in your most recent contract. Contact your account representative for details on how to access this new feature. Call: 1-888-310-0410
1. Setting up the Call
- Navigate to the Call Students tab during an active classroom session. You will see a pop-up outlining the functions that your Super User admins currently allow in this feature.
NOTE: Group calls are currently limited to 2 hours while 1:1 calls are limited to 8 hours.
- Select the Start Video Call option
2. Enable Camera
- Toggle the setting next to "Enable Camera" to set it to "On"
- If this is your first time using the feature, a popup will ask you if GoGuardian can access your camera. Click "Allow."
3. Enable Microphone
- Toggle the setting next to "Enable Microphone" to set it to "On"
- If this is your first time using the feature, a popup will ask you if GoGuardian can access your microphone, click “Allow”
- Select the microphone that you would like to use from the dropdown (if there is more than one option)
4. Record the Call
- Toggle the setting next to "Record this call" if you would like to record the video call to view and share later. Students will be asked to provide consent before they join a call that is being recorded. If they decline, their cameras and microphones will automatically be disabled for the entirety of the call.
5. Select Students
- Click "Select Students..." at the bottom of the screen, which will open a pop-up. In the pop-up, check off the boxes to the left of each student that you would like to call. If you would like to call the whole class, check off the box to the left of "Select All." Check off the box to the left of "Mute all students" if you would like all student microphones to be disabled during the call
NOTE: A maximum of 40 students can be selected per call.
6. Initiate the Call
- Click Call to begin the call. You will be redirected to a new tab that will wait for the student(s) to connect.
- On the students' end, the student will need to accept the call by clicking "Accept."
If this is their first time joining a call, the student will see a message informing them that their computer will prompt them for access to their camera and microphone.
If you selected to record the call, at this point, the student will need to select whether they give permission to have them be recorded during the call.
The student will have a chance to adjust their settings, before clicking "Join call" to join the call.
- When the student accepts the call, you will be able to see them and speak with them directly (if they enabled both their camera and microphone). Hover over a student's individual screen to mute/unmute them, allow/disallow their webcam, and view their browsing screen.
In the bottom-middle of the page, you can enable/disable your own camera and microphone, and enable/disable sharing of your screen.
- Below is what the student's perspective looks like during a live call (while the teacher is sharing a Chrome tab with the class):
- For Group Calls: If a student is offline when the call starts, the will be listed under "Absent Students" with the status "Offline" in the right panel that can be viewed by clicking on the call button (displaying the call time) on the top-right corner of the screen. When they come online, their status will change to "Call Ringing" and they will have the opportunity to join the call:
- Co-Teachers: To join a live group call, navigate to the Call Students tab of the active classroom session, which should indicate that a live call is taking place. Then, click Join (Teacher Name)'s Call to join the call:
NOTE: More than one student must be present in the call for co-teachers to be able to join the call.
NOTE: A maximum of 10 teachers (including the teacher that initiated the call) can join a video call.
- To adjust your settings for the call, select "Call Settings" in the bottom-left corner of the page. Students will be able to access these settings on their end as well.
- Students will also have the option to leave the recording from their call options (or join it if the denied access to their webcam and microphone before joining the call). They will be re-prompted to verify whether they would like to allow or deny this access:
- To end the call, select End Call in the bottom-right corner of the screen. If you recorded the call, you will be prompted to give the recording a title and then save the recording. Alternatively, you can delete the recording at this point. A link will appear in this pop-up which can be shared with students so they can access the recording at a later time.
To view details about which students and teachers attended the call, click on the button on the top-right of the screen to display a panel with this information
7. Rejoin Call and Access Past Recordings
Rejoin call: After a student leaves the call, they can rejoin the call. If they close this tab (screenshot below), it will automatically re-open for the student as long as the call is still active with the rest of the class.
- Recorded calls can be found in the Recordings tab of the classroom. You can copy link recordings to share them, as well as play, download, or delete the recordings.
NOTE: Recordings for recently-completed calls may take up to a few hours to be processed before they can be viewed. This is dependent on the length of the recording.
Initiating a 1:1 Call from a Teacher Chat
Another method for initiating a 1:1 call with a student is to do so from within the Chat tab while viewing the enlarged view of that student's screen. Chat does not need to be enabled for the student.
For more details on how to use the Teacher Chat feature, click here.